Eye
love peoples' eyes. I mean, I love peoples' eyes. For one thing, eyes
look really cool—this glossy, smooth ball of color and movement set
in all of our faces—how is one expected not to stare at them!? But
more than that, eyes have such depth. I have always loved looking
people in the eyes—it helps me listen to them. Eyes can speak a lot
of words if you listen. I remember reading Jane Eyre
(by Charlotte Bronte) in high school—I don't remember very much
about the book but I remember this: “The soul, fortunately, has an
interpreter-often an unconscious but still a faithful interpreter-in
the eye.” I have appreciated this quote and understood what it
meant to an extent, but my time in South Asia has brought a whole new
level of eye appreciation. I remember telling people in my first
couple of weeks here that I could see the darkness and lostness in
people's eyes. And it's true. I would look in the begger woman's eyes
and find something missing—something that I had always just
expected to see in eyes when I looked in them. At first I identified
this as a lost soul. But as my time here increases and the longer I
am unable to fully understand the words those around me are speaking,
the more I rely on listening to their eyes. As I have listened this
is what I heard: Pain. Sadness. Hardship. Poverty. Hopelessness.
Never have I been so fully exposed to such unyielding destitution. No
one is immune to it. All around me there is deprivation. Even if you
live in a mansion here, you still have to walk outside in the sewage
and trash and breath in the disease ridden air. No body is immune and
there is no end in sight. There is no answer. And everybody knows and
it feels it, all the way to their souls they feel it. That is what
their eyes scream—hopelessness.
The hopelessness has a tendency to overwhelm, a soul crushing
overwhelmth that is difficult to describe and impossible to overcome.
Today
as I sat in my friend's house in the slum and I listened to her story
of the day I had that all too familiar overwhelmth over taking me.
It's not fair, this life, I thought. How can one be expected to bear
it? But as I sat there and listened, I looked in her eyes. They were
full and vibrant. Yes, there was a sadness laced in there, but her
eyes were whole. My
friend is a follower. And she is not hopeless. She has found the
answer and she has already overcome. She may not be immune to the
unyielding destitution all around her, but she is immune to it
overtaking her soul. Because her soul is overtaken by Something else.
And it shines straight from her soul thru her eyes, out to everyone
around her-peace. Joy. Hope.There
is Light in this darkness and it is eye wonder. A wonder.
“The
eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole
body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body
will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how
great is the darkness! Matthew 6:22-23
No comments:
Post a Comment